How to make a beginner crop top
Making a crochet crop top is so rewarding since it works up faster than other crochet projects. No need to add arm, just some simple shoulder straps. And there are seemingly endless possibilities to add finishing touches and interesting details. This purple crop top is worked in a tactile stripe which also gives it a tighter weave.
A perfect top for the beach, pool or lake. Just though it over your bikini top and you are ready to go and enjoy this summer as long as you can.
You can buy the ad-free printable PDF for this Lila Crop Top Crochet Pattern on Etsy. Thank you for your support!
I used this beautiful deep purple from Hobbii. They are my favorite online supplier of great yarn at fantastic prices. They are located in Denmark, but shipping is free for orders over $75 and takes only a few days. The Cotton King yarns come in many different colors and are 100% cotton. They say it’s a super fine #1 yarn, but has just the right weight for lightweight summer tops without being so fine that it will take forever to finish a garment.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase through my link, I will make a small commission with no extra cost to you. “
Crop Top Materials
- 2 (3) balls of 50g each Hobbii Cotton Kings 8/4 color 21 fine weight
- 3mm Crochet Hook
Crochet Terms (US):
- Ch- Chain
- Sp – Space
- St – Stitch
- Sl St – Slip Stitch
- HDC – Half Double Crochet
- BLHDC – Back Loop Half Double Crochet
- FLHDC – Front Loop Half Double Crochet
- hdc2tog – Half double crochet decrease: Yarn over, insert hook in specified stitch and draw up a loop; three loops on the hook. Keeping these three loops on hook, yarn over and draw up a loop in the next stitch.
- FDC – Foundation Double Crochet: ch 4, yo, insert hook in fourth ch from hook, skipped chs count as first FDC, *yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through one loop on hook (this is creating the base ch), (yo and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice, one stitch complete, **yo and insert hook into base ch from previous stitch, repeat from * until you have created the indicated number of stitches, stop at ** when desired sts are complete.
22 sts (hdc, blhdc, blhdc pattern rep) x 18 rows = 4“ x 4“ (10 x 10 cm)
Top is worked from the bottom up in joined rounds.
Top section of the front is worked in rows.
Bottom trim is added last in joined rounds.
Ch2 at the start of a round or row counts as a stitch.
Purple Crop Top Crochet Pattern
130 (175) foundation dc, sl st to start to form a ring, making sure not to twist it
Round 1-3: ch2, hdc around, sl st to start
Round 4-5: ch2, blhdc around, sl st to start
Round 6-20 (6-23): rep 3-5
If you want your top longer for more coverage, just repeat rows 3-5 until you reach desired length.
Row 1 (top front part): ch2, blhdc in next 27 (38) sts, ch3, sk 3 sts, blhdc in next 26 (37) sts, blhdc2tog, turn
Row 2: ch2, hdc in next 25 (36) sts, ch5, sk 5 sts, hdc in the next 24 (35) sts, 2-hdc dec in last 2 sts, turn
Row 3: ch2, blhdc in next 22 (33) sts, ch7, sk 7 sts, blhdc in next 21 (32) sts, blhdc2tog2-hdc dec in last 2 sts, turn
Row 4: ch2, flhdc in next 20 (31) sts, ch9, sk 9 sts, flhdc in next 18 (29) sts, flhdc2tog in last 2 sts, turn
Row 5: ch2, hdc in next 16 (27) sts, ch11, sk 11 sts, hdc in next 17 (28) sts, hdc2tog in last 2 sts, turn
Row 6: ch2, flhdc in next 15 (26) sts, ch7, sk 7 sts, flhdc in next 13 (24) sts, flhdc2tog in last 2 sts, turn
Row 7: ch2, blhdc in next 10 (21) sts, ch7, sk 7 sts, blhdc in next 9 (21) sts, blhdc2tog in last 2 sts, turn
Row 8: ch2, hdc in next 8 (19) sts, ch11, sk 11 sts, hdc in next 9 (20) sts, hdc2tog in last 2 sts, fasten off (do not fasten off but turn for size M/L)
Row 9 (for size M/L only): ch2, blhdc in next 17 sts, ch7, sk 7 sts, blhdc in next 14 sts, 2-hdc dec in last 2 sts, fasten off
Row 1: (RS) join yarn to left side of row 1, ch1, 19 sc evenly along edge from row 1 to row 9, ch50 (60), turn
Row 2: ch2, sc in each ch from previous row to create the shoulder straps, sl st to start, fasten off, attach end of shoulder strap to top of the back 30sts away from row 1 start
Other Side: (WS) rep row 1-2 on right side
Round 1: attach yarn at the side, *ch5, sk 4 st, sc in next st, Repeat from * to end, sl st to start
Round 2: *(sc, ch2, 3tr, ch3, sl st in last tr, 3tr, ch2, sc) in ch-5, repeat from * to end, ss to start, fasten off, weave in all ends
I hope you will enjoy this Purple Crop Top as much as I do. Comment below if you have any questions and show off your own crop top here and on Instagram #kaileacrafts
More Free Crochet Patterns
Want to make even more crochet accessories? Check out these Crafting on the Fly creations!
- Velvet Crochet Scrunchies – These scrunchies are a quick project that will brighten up any outfit.
- Crochet Felted Aztec Bag – Need a large carry-all bag? This felted crochet bag is all you need.
- Crochet Flip Flop Sandals – Add some stylish sandals to your summer wardrobe with this flip flop crochet pattern.
- Crochet Statement Earrings – These crochet earrings are quickly made with some leftover yarn and will complete your summer outfits.